Free From Friday: Blueberry Cheesecake
This pud may be raw, but it’s a total showstopper, and a guaranteed please-all for your next dinner party. The mix of nuts, coconut and raw honey complement the tartness of the blueberries. The texture is a dream too; your teeth really sink through each layer.
It packs health benefits too: blueberries are one of the lowest sugar fruits, and they’re high in antioxidants to help protect your cells against free radical damage. Vitamins C, E and K are also lovingly wrapped up in this tart little berry, along with magnesium, manganese and potassium. Not just a pretty cake.
70g macadamia nuts
60g dates (de-stoned)
¼ tsp sea salt
250g blueberries (allowed to thaw if using frozen)
200g raw cashews, soaked for at least 5 hours (overnight is best)
75g desiccated coconut
20g coconut oil, melted. Place the jar in warm water to melt
2-3 tablespoons raw honey1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
Juice of 2 lemons
1. To make the crust, place all the ingredients in a high speed blender for around a minute or more.
2. Layer the bottom of a cake tin (diameter approximately 20cm).
3. For the filling, blend the ingredients in a high speed blender. Check the consistency every 20-30 seconds and continue blending until smooth.
4. Add an extra handful of whole blueberries and macadamia nuts to the filling before adding it to the cake tin.
5. Place in the freezer for four hours. Before serving, allow to thaw for 20-30 minutes.
6. Serve with fresh strawberries and blueberries and sprinkle over a handful of lime zest.
Whether you’re struggling with a nagging condition like eczema or IBS or in need of some inspiration to live a blissful dairy, gluten, wheat and sugar-free life, Michelle can help. If you’d like to have a chat, check out her website for all the details